Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Occheuteal Beach, Sihanoukville. a) notice the sky. It rained most of the time we were there. b) I would estimate that 95% of the people you see in the water in this picture are Khmer. It's definetely down-season in Cambodia right now, which is kind of nice. The water was gorgeous (at this beach).
The point of this picture is that I had a craving for fish and chips. Two days before this photo, I realized that everything (literally) that I have been eating since I got here has come in contact with some kind of meat, and since the fish is supposed to be so good in Cambodia, why am I even trying? So I dug into a full fish at lunch, much to the surprise and amusement of my Khmer hosts and Canadian friends.
We came home from Sihanoukville to some serious rain. So serious in fact that we were told to turn around when we got to a street near our apartment, and we were in a landcruiser! So this is a picture (that does no justice to the circumstances) of the water that I was wading through to get home that was up to my thighs. Nasty water. I have videos as well that I may or may not try to load up onto this page. Suffice to say, it was an experience :) We're having a party on Friday night and everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that the weather will hold up.
Dr. Ly at lunch. He was chatting with us and then he wasn't. 15 minutes later he opened his eyes, muttered operation! and got up, groggily and stumbled to his car. When I got back to the hospital he was scrubbed in and cutting away :)
K, this was my contribution to the Edmonton Oilers game the other day. I had the folks in the hospital in stitches as I tried to explain what hockey was (how do you say blade in French?), why I had a sticker on my face (Canada!) and why I was so nervous, running upstairs every 5 minutes to check the score. Then I was told by the doctor I was doing surgery with that losing 3-1 was bad. Thanks.
Dr. Ngiep, an American named Brian and myself doing surgery on a partial cleft lip. I think I might use these sessions to start improving my Khmer.
Tony and Dr. Bonvath repairing a leaky MEC patient. Poor kid has been absolutely traumatized by his whole hospital experience. Every time he sees someone dressed in blue he starts to cry. :(
Edmonton lost and we went to the lake to try and find dressy clothes for a wedding we have been invited to for the end of next week. Why oh why did I not bring a skirt and nice top? No skirts to be found, but I ordered a glass of beer, was served a pitcher (for 2$) and proceeded to get pissed. Getting ready to drink the doctors under the table Friday night (good luck to me...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home